SkyWave Radio UK

Your Station Your Way!

Current track

Title

Artist


Plan for 50-foot 5G mast next to Preston parks is withdrawn

Written by on June 17, 2020

Plans for a 50-foot 5G mobile phone mast in a Preston suburb, next to two parks and a children’s playground, have been withdrawn.

Mobile service provider Three had lodged plans to build a new 15 metre tall 5G mast off New Hall Lane in Fishwick, Preston.

The mast, along with a number of power cabinets, would have been built opposite Warbury Street overlooking Waverley Park and Ribbleton Park.

Ribbleton Park Play Area is also on the green space and would have been around 100 metres away from the mast.

But Three, which trades as Hutchinson 3G UK Ltd, has as of yesterday (June 16) withdrawn the plans.

No detail as to why it made this decision have been revealed as of yet, with it coming roughly two months after the mast plan was first lodged with Preston City Council.

Conspiracy theories surrounding 5G technology have been shared across social media, despite little evidence to substantiate claims.

The international body in charge of setting limits on exposure to radiation, the International Commission on Non‐Ionizing Radiation Protection, has updated its guidelines to make it clear that the technology is safe.

Planning agents WHP Telecoms Ltd had been acting on behalf of Three in discussions with Preston Council.

In notes to council staff, Damian Hosker of WHP said: “Three are in the process of building out the UK’s fastest 5G network.

“Three has 140MHz of 5G spectrum (and 100MHz of it contiguous), which means our service will be much faster and able to handle more data.

“To bring this new technology to the people [Three] will need to provide a mix of upgrades to existing sites and the building of new sites.”,

Mr Hosker added: “New sites will be needed for many reasons, including that the higher radio frequencies used for 5G do not travel as far as those frequencies currently in use and that sometimes not all existing sites can be upgraded.

“In this area there is an acute need for a new mast to deliver the above.”

They said the site in question had been chosen due to the “numerous vertical elements” in New Hall Road, including street lamps.

“The height of the pole has been kept down to the absolute minimum capable of providing the required essential new 5G coverage,” Mr Hosker added.

It comes a week after LancsLive reported on Lancaster City Council rejecting Three’s plans for a 65-foot 5G phone mast close to the city centre.

The 20 metre high mast was deemed to represent an “incongruous and dominant” addition to Lancaster, “adversely affecting the character and appearance” of this part of Lancaster.