Steep rise in Covid cases in two Lancashire areas
Written by Skywave Radio News on July 8, 2020
Two Lancashire areas have recorded steep increases in confirmed cases of coronavirus, accounting for 70% of the county’s daily increase.
As of Wednesday afternoon (July 8), 36 further cases of Covid-19 have been confirmed across 10 of Lancashire’s 14 regions.
Of these, 14 were in Blackburn with Darwen, bringing its cases total to 1,020.
It marks another grim day for the borough, with it also topping the daily increases on Monday this week.
In the last three days, it has recorded 21 new cases.
In Pendle, which covers Nelson, Barnoldswick, and Colne, a further 11 cases have been recorded bringing its total to 442.
Pendle recorded the highest daily increase in Lancashire on Tuesday, with 10 new cases.
It means there have been 23 new cases in the last three days.
10 of Lancashire’s 14 areas recorded at least one new case in the last 24 hours, according to the data from Public Health England.
Cases have been recorded in Blackburn with Darwen, Blackpool, Preston, Chorley, Fylde, Lancaster, Pendle, Ribble Valley, West Lancashire, and Wyre.
Burnley, Hyndburn, Rossendale and South Ribble all recorded no new cases of Covid-19.
There are now 8,710 cases of coronavirus across the whole of Lancashire.
As of last week, the data is now based on people being tested both through Pillar 1, which is in hospitals, and Pillar 2, which are through drive-through test centres and swabs sent by post.
Confirmed cases of Covid-19 by Lancashire borough as of Wednesday, July 8, with increases in brackets:
- Blackburn with Darwen: 1,020 (+14), 684.8 per 100,000
- Blackpool: 1,020 (+1), 732.2 per 100,000
- Burnley: 439 (0), 495.9 per 100,000
- Chorley: 670 (+1), 573.5 per 100,000
- Fylde: 440 (+1), 551.6 per 100,000
- Hyndburn: 317 (0), 392.3 per 100,000
- Lancaster: 881 (+1), 610.8 per 100,000
- Pendle: 442 (+11), 483.6 per 100,000
- Preston: 1,153 (+2), 813.0 per 100,000
- Ribble Valley: 1913 (+2), 321.4 per 100,000
- Rossendale: 281 (0), 396.4 per 100,000
- South Ribble: 510 (0), 461.4 per 100,000
- West Lancashire: 717 (+2), 629.2 per 100,000
- Wyre: 625 (+1), 561.9 per 100,000
Across Lancashire, one more person with coronavirus has sadly lost their life, bringing the county death toll to 992.
They died at Blackpool Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, which operates Blackpool Victoria Hospital. The death was confirmed by the health service this afternoon, bringing the trust’s death toll to 233.
The person sadly lost their life last Monday (June 29).
There can be a delay in recording deaths, as there has been here. This means that each death is not reported by the NHS on the following day.
Therefore, increases in the numbers should be treated with caution.